Rendered Head and Topology

Okay so i might have went a little over saturated with the purple lol. The lighting also shows up the flaws in the topology, like I think I may have gotten the flow wrong over the muscles in the neck.

Head Modeling Progress

These are screenshots I took as I modeled Siobhan’s head. I mostly used three references for this topology project:

Project 2: https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse458/14au/content/projects/project2/

Hippydrome: http://www.hippydrome.com/

Thundercloud: http://www.thundercloud-studio.com/index.php?page=tutorial/ModelingTutorial/headModeling

I started by drawing Siobhan’s side profile with the quad draw tool. I similarly drew quads around the eye shape from the front view and then connected these to the nose. I initially did this with the quad draw but then found that extruding edges and using the target weld tool was easier for bridging connections.

I drew the mouth with the quad draw tool and extruded the edges a few times to create the loop flow around the mouth. I looked at the reference from hippydrome.com a lot to keep in mind where the poles occur at certain areas where the eye, mouth and nose loops border other eachother. I mostly used the front and side orthographic views when shaping the mesh to the images of Siobhan.

I then started to bring the geometry from the front of the face around to the back of the head. I first made the mistake of bring the geometry straight up from the forehead resulting in too much resolution being directed to a small area. I looked at the Project 2 tutorial again and found that the geometry needs to be spread around the temples also. I made a similar mistake with the edge flow leading down to the neck and had to rethink how the loops from the jaw and neck flow back around the face.

The sculpt geometry tool came in useful from this point on. The smooth function helped tidy the mesh while the push and pull functions helped define the varying volumes better. I then created Siobhan’s ear by drawing around her ear shape with the quad draw tool. I tried to keep the resolution as low as possible so that it would connect to the mesh of her face without creating n-gons.

After this I tried to reduce some of the resolution leading down the neck and top of the head but it had to fixed when I mirrored the geometry as it created poles.

For the eyes I followed this tutorial that Abigail showed me on Youtube:

I pulled the cornea a bit more out at the front to match the diagram on the Thunder Cloud tutorial. I also added thickness to the eyelids and added the canthus. After the mesh was mirrored over I spent some time on adjusting the asymmetrical details.

Lastly I used the ‘mesh cleanup’ to find n-gons and triangles on my model. I cleared some up around the ears and nose but left an n-gon on each side of the nose and on each ear.

Belfast Genome Tower

This is Kerry, Christian, Matthew and I’s finished project for the building Belfast design brief.

For the animated infographics we modified a template we got from videohive.com to reflect our own collected data: http://videohive.net/item/flat-infographic-elements-v1/5046616

The song is Emerge From Smoke by Shlomo which Kerry found. Unfortunately youtube mutes it every time I upload but it’s too good of a fit to replace.

We spent a long time on the ideation and conceptualization stages and even spent quite a while considering carrying out our own data collection on more unusual statistics that we could base our designs around e.g. head size, coffee orders, fashion etc. In the end we settled on the idea of storing the population’s genomes as data on servers and did a photo mash of our sketchbook pages in photoshop. Matthew sketched the image below from what was produced:Matthew_sketch

The top part is for pumping water around the helix cooling system and the middle part is a heat sink. Obviously we got some design inspiration from Watson and Crick and the DNA double helix for storing our data. In the final design we have 80 spheres (2 on each rung) and within each sphere are 64 servers storing 8TB of data each. These are some shot and lighting tests that Matthew did:

We liked the effect of varying depth of field and pulling focus but it added a lot of time to the render and the view in the view port was a lot different than what was being produced in the mental ray renders. We decided not to use it this time but it’s definitely something to consider for the future.

These are some design and lighting tests for the heat sink I modeled:

Building Belfast Concepts

These are some sketches I did in week 5 to get a feel for what different parts of the model might look like. I liked the idea of our data being held in libraries/twisting pillars of servers, maybe like the mangrove tree skyscrapers. These could be inside spheres/pods connected by service corridors with a cooling system similar to that in the Google server rooms.