These are a few simple points that we could use to question ourselves to see if we’re on the right path.
- Know your ending, your punchline.
- Make me care.
- Don’t give the audience 4, give them 2+2. The unifying theory of 2+2.
- Every character is driven by an itch that they need to scratch, the spine of their character that drives them. It doesn’t always drive them to make the correct decisions.
- Drama is anticipation mingled with uncertainty.
- Have you constructed uncertainty? Have you made me want to know what will happen next?
- A strong theme is always running through a well told story e.g. identity in Lawrence of Arabia.
- Can you create wonder in your audience?