I had a look at this tutorial a few weeks back and it was a great introduction into how various assets can be integrated seamlessly into footage. Some points that I took from this tutorial are:
- Apply your tracking data to nulls instead of precomps as movement in the footage will reveal the cut-off edges of a precomp. Parent your assets under a null. Then parent this null under another null with the tracked movement from Mocha’s ‘AE transform data’.
- Study how different explosions work in real life. What are the order of events? Blast gets kicked up, reacts to oxygen and blast waves move out.
- Mocha is good for this type of heavily blurred motion tracking.
- Use time stretching to retime assets as needed.
- Use colour adjust, tints and levels adjust to match assets to the footage.
- Blend the assets using feather masks and watch out for sharp unnatural edges.
- We can turn on motion blur as we’re using nulls to hold our data.
- For a spherical explosion, animate a cc sphere effect.
This is my own attempt of going through the tutorial and trying to get the same result: