Reflection: Placement-Lite Project with Iglu Media

Did we deliver what was asked of us?

We delivered pitch material and put together a video. However, we should have made a clearer representation of Julie and William aging over the 10 years and we should have created more concepts showing scenarios of the characters in different emotions. We also didn’t finish the 3D scene which we were working on for the deadline. I feel like we could have easily finished this except that both Sorcha and I caught the flu and couldn’t work for a few days each. We really should always leave extra time in our plans for unforeseen events like this.

Dealing with the change in requirements.

Just before Easter, our requirements as a team changed a little. Instead of making a video which demonstrated gameplay, Jonny discovered that more concepts of the characters and their relationship would be better material for a pitch. We still wanted to make a 3D scene together but this required a new plan as our gameplay footage was now less suitable. Skype meetings worked well over the Easter break but I felt that we could have done better if Molly and Aidan could have met immediately after our meeting with Iglu. Only Sorcha and I could meet soon after our Iglu meeting to discuss the new project direction.

Better time and project management.

Looking back, my best weeks usually involved a team meeting early in the week. For example, I think that my best week was in week 02. Immediately after our meeting with Iglu, we had a white board ideation session in which we discussed and divided up exactly what we needed to do. This helped to lay down a clear path of what exactly was important to tackle straight away and I was confident to jump on a task immediately and give a whole week for completion. I also worked well after meeting with Sorcha on St. Patricks Day during which time we set mini-deadlines for certain tasks. We tried using Asana at one point but it didn’t seem to catch on. I’m determined to start using a tool like Asana instead of facebook.

Team decision making problems.

One of our problems was making a firm decision on style. Sorcha and I sat down to discuss this together when it seemed quite late into the project. This turned out to be the solution that we needed as I felt a lot surer of what we wanted after this meeting. I wish we had of identified the high importance of this earlier in the project and had as many meetings as we needed earlier on until we found a solution. We seemed to orbit around the problem for a long time until it became more obvious. The same problem was present for choosing final designs for the two characters. Another option would be, if the team is having trouble deciding, then the team should appoint one member to research into and make a solution for one particular part of the project.

Presentation of work and communication

I felt like I was too quiet during meetings with Iglu Media and didn’t present my work as well as I should have to Gareth and Jonny. Jonny and Gareth made a point during our first meeting about artists who were too protective of showing their sketchbook work. I think that I can be like this sometimes as I often start a sketch like a scribble almost and then make iterations until it looks presentable. I should have put more time into presenting my work beforehand for meetings and I should have been more prepared about what I needed to communicate regarding how I contributed to the team’s weekly outcomes.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s