Head Modeling Progress

These are screenshots I took as I modeled Siobhan’s head. I mostly used three references for this topology project:

Project 2: https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse458/14au/content/projects/project2/

Hippydrome: http://www.hippydrome.com/

Thundercloud: http://www.thundercloud-studio.com/index.php?page=tutorial/ModelingTutorial/headModeling

I started by drawing Siobhan’s side profile with the quad draw tool. I similarly drew quads around the eye shape from the front view and then connected these to the nose. I initially did this with the quad draw but then found that extruding edges and using the target weld tool was easier for bridging connections.

I drew the mouth with the quad draw tool and extruded the edges a few times to create the loop flow around the mouth. I looked at the reference from hippydrome.com a lot to keep in mind where the poles occur at certain areas where the eye, mouth and nose loops border other eachother. I mostly used the front and side orthographic views when shaping the mesh to the images of Siobhan.

I then started to bring the geometry from the front of the face around to the back of the head. I first made the mistake of bring the geometry straight up from the forehead resulting in too much resolution being directed to a small area. I looked at the Project 2 tutorial again and found that the geometry needs to be spread around the temples also. I made a similar mistake with the edge flow leading down to the neck and had to rethink how the loops from the jaw and neck flow back around the face.

The sculpt geometry tool came in useful from this point on. The smooth function helped tidy the mesh while the push and pull functions helped define the varying volumes better. I then created Siobhan’s ear by drawing around her ear shape with the quad draw tool. I tried to keep the resolution as low as possible so that it would connect to the mesh of her face without creating n-gons.

After this I tried to reduce some of the resolution leading down the neck and top of the head but it had to fixed when I mirrored the geometry as it created poles.

For the eyes I followed this tutorial that Abigail showed me on Youtube:

I pulled the cornea a bit more out at the front to match the diagram on the Thunder Cloud tutorial. I also added thickness to the eyelids and added the canthus. After the mesh was mirrored over I spent some time on adjusting the asymmetrical details.

Lastly I used the ‘mesh cleanup’ to find n-gons and triangles on my model. I cleared some up around the ears and nose but left an n-gon on each side of the nose and on each ear.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s